1. I love building things with wood and I have a dream to build my own guitar some day. I’ve done a bit of research and it doesn’t look too hard. The only big obstacle is that the supplies are expensive!
2. I was Bible Quizzer and coached a Bible Quizzing team. This required studying and even memorizing sections of Scripture and then answering questions in a Jeopardy like competition. At one time I had about half of the book of Matthew memorized word for word (other quizzers memorized the whole thing!). It was a great experience.
3. I did a lot of Drama in Jr. High. Acting was one of my favorite things and I think God used it in my life to help me be comfortable in front of large crowds.
4. I have an interesting physical condition known as Spontaneous Pneumothorax. This basically means my lungs can collapse at any time for no reason whatsoever. For many people with this condition it is very serious and life threatening. So far for me it has just been very painful. Someday I’ll probably write more about this but it’s on my mind right now because my left lung gave me a not-so-gentle reminder of this yesterday morning and I’m still feeling a bit sore.
5. I went skydiving in college. This was great fun. Unfortunately it turns out that this is one of the things people with Spontaneous Pneumothorax are not supposed to do (along with mountain climbing and scuba diving). Oh well, ignorance is bliss and it was a great experience. It was a static line jump over Wisconsin during the winter. Quite cold but I could see for miles!
6. I like being near large bodies of water. Oceans, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, etc. – I find them all very inspiring! Looking out over a large body of water helps me put life in perspective.
7. I am not athletic. This is partially due to #4 (I quit doing gym class in school after my Freshman year of High School and had to write a report each week on some sport – this was not fun). I like doing some athletic things but I’m definitely not an athlete.
8. I know how to knit. Actually I should say I knew how to knit and have since forgotten. My wife bought a beginners knitting kit for our oldest daughter and neither one of us could figure out how to do it. Never one to back down from a challenge, I started researching and eventually ended up knitting my daughter a purse that I think she still has.
9. I love to cook. Especially anything on the grill!
10. I do many of my own car repairs (I figure I have to round out the knitting and cooking). I change the oil, brakes, rotors, I’ve done control arms and hubs, I’ve replaced sensors and mufflers and many other things. I have had a lot of help over the years and learned a lot of things from various people (thanks to everyone who has ever helped me fix my cars!).
Well there you go. A few random things about me. What are some things about you that others might not know?